- Job title of nominated professional: Chief Technology Officer
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): WatchGuard Technologies
- Website: http://www.watchguard.com/
- Company size (employees): 200-500 employees
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition
• Corey has helped to guide WatchGuard Technologies security strategy over the past five years. As a Product Manager, Director of Security Strategy and Research, and now CTO, Corey has had a strong influence on WatchGuard’s security technology portfolio, helping introduce new revenue producing products and services to our partner and customers.
• Corey is an active member of in the information security community and contributes to its success by presenting at key industry events like Black Hat and RSA, writing educational articles for publications such as Dark Reading and Help Net Security, and contributing to penetration testing research and disclosure.
• Corey educates the wider public about how cybersecurity issues can affect them by discussing cybersecurity issues with the media, writing for consumer publications and publishing daily video blogs.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Recognized as a thought leader in IT security, Nachreiner spearheads WatchGuard’s technology vision and direction. Previously, he was the director of strategy and research at WatchGuard. Nachreiner has operated at the frontline of cyber security for 16 years, and for nearly a decade has been evaluating and making accurate predictions about information security trends. As an authority on network security and internationally quoted commentator, Nachreiner’s expertise and ability to dissect complex security topics make him a sought-after speaker at forums such as Gartner, Infosec and RSA. He is also a regular contributor to leading publications including CNET, Dark Reading, eWeek, Help Net Security, Information Week and Infosecurity, and delivers WatchGuard’s “Daily Security Byte” video on Facebook.
This year, Corey has contributed to WatchGuard’s success in the following ways:
• Spearheaded the tech acquisition of Hexis Hawkeye G, expanding WatchGuard’s security portfolio with revenue-driving detection and response capabilities.
• Launched a new threat research team to generate more threat intelligence and primary security research from WatchGuard.
• Lead WatchGuard’s Rapid Vulnerability Response team and launched internal product penetration testing efforts, to ensure WatchGuard delivers the most secure products possible.
Beyond his responsibilities as CTO, Corey devotes a huge amount of his time to educating the public about cybersecurity. He is regularly featured on local news stations in the Pacific Northwest explaining cybersecurity issues like political hacking and DDOS attacks and providing clarity and actionable advice to the public. Corey publishes several video blogs per week explain cybersecurity news stories for experts and amateur security professionals. He analyzed the hacking accuracy of both seasons of the hit USA television series “Mr. Robot” in his weekly Mr. Robot Rewind column published on Seattle technology news site GeekWire and regularly comments on cybersecurity issues for local and international news outlets.