- Job title of nominated professional: Co-founder and CTO
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Cato Networks
- Website: http://www.catonetworks.com
- Company size (employees): 10 - 49
- Country: Israel
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
1) Gur is leading the industry as CTO and co-founder of Cato Networks, alongside Imperva’s former CEO Shlomo Kramer. The company recently announced a $30M Series B round after emerging from stealth in February 2016, representing a rapid rate of growth and a major level of industry interest in the disruptive potential of Cato’s technology. As CTO, Gur has been instrumental in leading the development of Cato’s platform to the point that it represents a viable cloud-based alternative to the networking and security appliances that many enterprises struggle to manage. As Cato Networks continues to grow, Gur will play a major role in leading an overall industry shift towards the cloud.
2) The two companies that Gur has founded - Cato Networks and Incapsula - have both shown tremendous agility in product development and growth. Gur took Incapsula from concept to successful exit in about four years, then translated that success in cloud-based delivery into Cato Networks. Cato Networks, after emerging from stealth only 7 months ago, has already announced the general availability of its Cato Cloud product and first large scale production customers.
3) Gur is a respected visionary in the enterprise security space. His first company, Incapsula, was created over six years ago, a time when cloud-based application delivery was still a foreign concept to many enterprises. Gur’s risky bet that the cloud would revolutionize security paid off four years later when his company was acquired by Imperva. Cato Networks represents a similar level of willingness to trailblaze. While cloud delivery is now much more common across a variety of industries, it’s still quite bold to propose that an enterprise eliminate a large stack of security and networking appliances and move them to the cloud.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Gur is co-founder and CTO of Cato Networks. Prior to Cato Networks, he was the co-founder and CEO of Incapsula Inc., a cloud-based web applications security and anti-DDOS company. Before Incapsula, Gur was Director of Product Development, Vice President of Engineering and Vice President of Products at Imperva, a web application security and data security company. Gur holds a BSc in Computer Science from Tel Aviv College.
In co-founding Cato Networks, Gur has helped to create an entirely new category of network security product: Firewall-as-a-Service. This new category, recognized by Gartner, builds on Gur’s previous groundbreaking work in cloud-based networking and security. Gur took the lessons he learned about web application and data security at Imperva, then further migrated those lessons into the cloud at Incapsula by building one of the world’s leading global and cloud-based application protection networks. He then helped develop the key innovation that Cato Networks brings to the table – the complete migration of both networking and security into the cloud.
Cato represents the culmination of Gur and his co-founder Shlomo Kramer’s years of experience and expertise in networking and security. The company’s recent $30M Series B funding round is just the latest validation of the tremendous potential that industry experts see in Cato’s ability to completely disrupt an industry that still relies predominantly on physical appliances to secure and connect enterprises. Cloud-based network security as-a-service is the future of the industry, and Gur has helped Cato Networks be at the forefront of this major shift.