- Company (that provides the nominated product / solution / service): Darktrace
- Website: http://www.darktrace.com
- Company size (employees): 200
- Country: United Kingdom
- Type of solution: Software
- Approximate number of users worldwide: 5
In 3 bullets, summarize why this product or service is different from the competition and deserves recognition:
• The Industrial Immune System’s fundamental ability to detect previously-unidentified cyber threats within SCADA and other operational technology systems is a world-first, helping operators meaningfully improve the resilience of critical infrastructure, and the safety of the people that work in these environments.
• Powered by unsupervised machine learning and mathematics developed at the University of Cambridge, Darktrace can spot new, emerging abnormal behaviors that are indicative of serious threat, which have not been previously identified, and therefore have bypassed traditional security controls.
• By detecting true anomalies in real time, Darktrace only alerts an organization about genuinely suspicious incidents (rather than flooding it with false positives) and allows it to take proactive measures to mitigate risk. Darktrace therefore enables organizations to shift from reactive to proactive cyber defense against the next generation of cyber-attacks. It helps them reconcile the challenge of, on the one hand, maintaining the flexibility that modern enterprises require, and on the other, ensuring risk is meaningfully minimized.
Darktrace, the leader in Enterprise Immune System technology, announced the launch of the Industrial Immune System in 2015, a new product capable of detecting emerging cyber-threats within Industrial Control Systems (ICS). Applying Darktrace’s machine learning and mathematics to both operational technology (OT) and corporate environments for the first time, the launch marked the beginning of a new era for the protection of critical infrastructure, delivering real-time detection of today’s most advanced cyber-attackers and subtle insider threats.
Industrial Control Systems, including SCADA, are relied on by power stations, factories and other parts of critical infrastructure to manage key processes, yet are increasingly being targeted by advanced hackers and exposed to vulnerabilities that originate in the corporate network. As IT and OT environments continue to converge, managers of ICS have been faced with the challenge of protecting these crucial systems and data, in spite of inherent security weaknesses and the continual risk of insider threat.
Darktrace’s Industrial Immune System represents a major innovation for critical infrastructure providers, giving them a holistic, visual overview of their production environments and alerting them to potential threats, before they develop into full-blown cyber-attacks. Powered by Enterprise Immune System technology developed at the University of Cambridge, Darktrace has specially adapted its innovative mathematical models to ICS data, forming an adaptive ‘pattern of life’ for the machines, networks and users within these environments, which is used to spot previously unidentified anomalies, in real time.
The Industrial Immune System is available as part of Darktrace’s flagship Enterprise Immune System, and has been rolled out by numerous organizations in order to extend threat visibility into their SCADA systems, using the Industrial Immune System to continuously monitor behaviors and alert security operators to any suspicious or abnormal activity.