- Company (that provides the nominated product / solution / service): Darktrace Industrial
- Website: https://www.darktraceindustrial.com/en/
- Company size (employees): 500 to 999
- Country: United States
- Type of solution: Software
- Approximate number of users worldwide: 100+
What other awards did this nomination receive in the previous 12 months?
CNBC Disruptor 50 2018, Fast Company World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies 2018, The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise 2018, Cybersecurity Excellence Awards 2018, Tech Tour Growth 50 2018, Deloitte Technology Fast 50, The AIconics 2018, Forbes Cloud 100, The Sunday Times: Tech Track 100, Computing Cloud Excellence Awards 2018, 2018 Stratus Award for Cloud Computing, Asia-Pacific Stevie Awards 2018, 2018 CDM Infosec Awards, Computing Big Data & IoT Excellence Awards 2018, Future Fifty from Tech City UK, BVCA Management Team Awards 2018, Info Security Global Excellence Awards 2018, National Technology Awards 2018, CB Insights AI 100 2018, CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards.
In 3 bullets, summarize why this product or service is different from the competition and deserves recognition:
• Darktrace Industrial’s application of artificial intelligence to critical infrastructure is without comparison in the field of cyber security. By understanding the normal ‘pattern of life’ for every PLC, sensor, PC, and industrial plant under its protection, Darktrace Industrial detects anomalous behavior indicative of a cyber-attack, whether or not a similar attack has occurred in the past. Such never-before-seen threats would otherwise go unnoticed for days or perhaps months, with the potential to steal lucrative trade secrets or to sabotage key processes in the interim.
• As cyber-attacks on ICS and SCADA networks become increasingly prevalent, safeguarding today’s critical infrastructure requires thinking beyond standard IT solutions. OT environments like ports and factories are highly bespoke and are often comprised of machines whose antiquated operating systems don’t support conventional security tools, which are designed only to defend particular networks. Conversely, Darktrace Industrial learns the intricacies of each unique OT environment while on the job, adapting alongside these environments as they inevitably evolve and grow.
• Smart technologies are rapidly transforming critical infrastructure across every sector, intertwining Operational Technology with Information Technology more closely than ever before. The disappearance of the historical ‘air gap’ between these OT and IT networks necessitates a security solution that protects both environments, as Darktrace uniquely does today. Indeed, Darktrace’s user interface, the Threat Visualizer, provides security teams with 100% visibility over their entire organization’s online activities on a single screen, allowing these teams to rapidly investigate and respond to infrastructure threats regardless of their provenance.
As the first AI cyber security system ever deployed across ICS and SCADA networks, Darktrace Industrial heralds a paradigm shift in the approach that governments and firms take to secure the world’s critical infrastructure. Created by mathematicians from the University of Cambridge, Darktrace’s AI technology, known as the Industrial Immune System, learns the unique ‘pattern of life’ of each industrial environment that it safeguards. From this evolving understanding of ‘self,’ Darktrace can detect any anomalous behavior, including never-before-seen threats that bypass conventional security tools.
Additionally, whereas such conventional tools are programmed only to protect certain types networks and devices, the highly bespoke nature of modern Operational Technology environments often means that these tools cannot be deployed. By contrast, Darktrace Industrial is not burdened with these constraints; rather, it learns on the job to differentiate between normal and abnormal activity of all kinds within networks of all shapes and sizes. With Darktrace’s AI solution defending their networks, organizations can identify and investigate in-progress threats in real time, armed with the intelligence required to take proportionate action.
Beyond traditional industrial organizations, Darktrace Industrial has proven critical in the protection of smart cities like the City of Las Vegas. From IoT sensors in trash cans to app-controlled irrigation systems, smart infrastructure has enabled these cities to achieve significant gains in efficiency and precision, while at the same time quietly deflating the ‘air gap’ between their OT and IT environments. Given this highly integrated climate, OT appliances — which often lack even rudimentary security controls — present an easy avenue for cyber-criminals and state-sponsored threat actors to infiltrate confidential government networks. But by simultaneously securing OT and IT networks, providing 100% visibility across all devices contained therein, Darktrace empowers its customers to make their critical infrastructure smarter without compromising safety.