- Company (that provides the nominated product / solution / service): ownCloud
- Website: https://owncloud.com/
- Company size (employees): 60 employees globally
- Country: United States
- Type of solution: Software
- Approximate number of users worldwide: More than eight million users worldwide
In 3 bullets, summarize why this product or service is different from the competition and deserves recognition:
• Currently used by faculty and staff, ownCloud has become an integral part of the Ouachita Baptist University's learning management system. “In the last six months, ownCloud has introduced new versions and we were really blown away with options, features, and ease of use — it all gelled for us. It was versatile, fast and efficient, and the ability to bring in Windows file shares was a huge deal," said Rob Crockett, Network Administrator, Ouachita Baptist University. “ownCloud is 3-4-5 steps ahead of people with similar solutions. We ran it through the ringer and it really showed its flying colors. We tested multiple scenarios and [the ownCloud technical team] even brought in developers when necessary. ownCloud really stands behind its product and really got behind us – even though we were only testing at that point.”
• The University of Münster is part of a 22-institution network of publically funded research and education facilities that required a solution that would meet the needs of the entire network. Dr. Vogl spearheaded a task force to carefully examine all the options. “Getting the consortium together across 22 independent entities for a project of this scale was both intense and challenging. We used an incredible amount of due diligence to consider all of our options. In the end, ownCloud was clearly the right choice,” said Dr. Raimund Vogl, Director of IT. After two years of intense research, ownCloud was selected for on-premise file sync and share across research and applied science universities in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), Germany in a project called “Sync & Share NRW.”
2. “With ownCloud I don’t have to blindly trust a nebulous entity. I control how files are shared and ownCloud helps me every step of the way.”
Doug Burns, Network/Security Administrator, Jefferson National
ownCloud, Inc., the company behind the world’s most popular open source enterprise file access software, recently announced that is has achieved 100% year-over-year growth in 2015 and is on track to double that growth again in 2016. By moving beyond file sync and share to Universal File Access, ownCloud is rapidly becoming the vendor of choice for global enterprises, many of whom are concerned about complying with the European Union data privacy regulations and recent Safe Harbor changes.
For 2016, ownCloud is already on track to double bookings to more than $16 million. Today, it has more than 300 customers across 47 countries, with downloads of the community and enterprise edition in 193 countries supporting more than 8 million users. This has fueled tremendous growth over the last 12 months and proven that deployments of ownCloud extend well beyond its enterprise file sync and share capabilities. Customers increasingly prefer frictionless file access that leverages existing infrastructure, can be configured to meet challenging requirements, and leaves the door open for hybrid deployments.
Analyst firm Gartner recently published research that supports the customer demand for open, secure file sharing solutions that offer deep integration:“Most IT buyers instead will look for flexibility of deployment and integration between existing data repositories and those in the cloud.”
With more than 8.7 million downloads of ownCloud server, desktop and mobile clients in the last year, ownCloud has discovered that IT buyers want more than just enterprise file sync and share solutions – they want Universal File Access, first and foremost.
ownCloud’s solution has also been embraced by Deutsche Bahn, one of the world’s leading passenger and logistics companies operating in 130 countries worldwide. “ownCloud is designed for high user adoption. And, ownCloud provides many of the functionalities of public cloud services, but also fulfills security requirements.