- Job title of nominated professional: CEO and Co-Founder
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Hotshot Technologies, Inc.
- Website: https://www.hotshot.mobi/
- Company size (employees): 1 to 9
- Country: United States
- Headquarters Region: North America
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
• Aaron Turner founded and launched Hotshot’s security compliant mobile messaging platform for businesses this year to address mobile security and privacy needs in a simple, easy-to-use way. Hotshot’s patent-pending time- and location-based encryption represents the first time that strong data protections are associated with the actual location of the user (using location services and not easily-spoofable IP addresses) in a simple-to-use application that enables compliance with GDPR, HIPPA, labor laws and more.
• Data owners can set specific policies to allow data access only from approved locations (whether a specific address, like a business office, or from an entire country or group of countries like the EU). Data owners can also set time restrictions to only allow access to work-related communications during business hours. Hotshot enables easy claw back of data when users (including contract and 3rd party project team members) leave the organization, or no longer have the need for access to it, further ensuring that data is not exposed improperly.
• Even though it just launched in June, the company already has customers in the US and Europe, and in November of this year Hotshot was accepted into the Technoport Incubation program in November 2018. Technoport® ltd. is a technology-oriented business incubator and business support infrastructure owned by the Luxembourg Ministry of the Economy and Foreign Trade (55%) and the SNCI (45%), a public-law banking institution specialized in medium and long-term financing of Luxembourg based companies. SNCI’s financing instruments are investments in fixed assets, innovations and exports.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Aaron Turner is a multi-decade veteran entrepreneur of the technology security industry. Beginning as an independent internet security consultant in 1994, he was hired by Microsoft in 1999 and helped start many of the security teams at Microsoft, being recognized by Bill Gates personally for technical contributions and project leadership. While at Microsoft, the US Department of Energy’s Idaho National Laboratory (INL) approached him to help start one of the first dedicated cyber security research facilities, and he left Microsoft to join INL in 2006. During Aaron’s time at INL, he helped invent a high-security contactless payment technology which he licensed from INL, spun out through the tech transfer process, and raised venture capital to get a company called RFinity started. After his exit from RFinity, Aaron formed another company, Terreo, to commercialize card skimmer detection technology he designed and while raising venture capital, was approached by Verifone to acquire the technology and have him serve as VP of Security Research and Development. Terreo was sold to Verifone in 2015.
His latest company, Hotshot, launched in June 2018, to solve real world security problems that enterprises around the world face today. Hotshot just closed its first round of $1.5 million in seed funding and the company was invited to participate with the Luxembourg Government’s technology incubation program as a Technoport startup.