- Job title of nominated professional: Strategic Systems Consultant
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Dell
- Website: http://www.dell.com
- Company size (employees): 103,000
- Country: United States
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
• Alvaro goes way above and beyond his job responsibilities to educate customers about Active Directory security. None of this is part of his annual performance or bonus. For what it’s worth, Alvaro has the following certifications: CISSP, CISSO, ITIL and MCSE.
• Alvaro single-handedly convinced our product and marketing teams to revise our message away from compliance (HIPAA, PCI, SOX, FISMA, etc.) and toward Active Directory/Windows security. His efforts have educated many colleagues, helping us to amplify his evangelism.
• Again, without it being a job requirement, Alvaro is devoted to being a thought leader on all things Active Directory security. He has created white papers, blogs, social media posts, Tweets, customer/partner presentations and more--all of which are technically marketing functions.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Although Alvaro’s primary responsibility is client consulting, he has been the most active educator I’ve known in 5 years of marketing at Dell. He has devoted much of his limited schedule to helping me conduct customer/partner webcasts (7) and training videos, while authoring numerous blogs, Tweets, LinkedIn posts, white papers (6) and e-books (2), all not part of his primary duties. This, in addition to responsibilities for weekly customer consultations. He also attends many conferences, broadening his reach. I wasn’t sure whether to nominate him as a consultant, educator or professional—Alvaro deserves all three.
There are many smart consultants on Dell Software’s Governance, Risk and Compliance team, but none do so much to educate IT professionals about securing Active Directory from cybersecurity threats as Alvaro. Although exact numbers elude me, Alvaro has enlightened somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 IT pros in 2015—possibly more—based on the content and presentations mentioned above. Maybe more, given that he has 3,667 Twitter followers, with whom he shares his knowledge daily. Alvaro is also active with our TweetChats, a monthly event for Dell Twitter followers.
Every time Alvaro speaks to our community, he is essentially doing me (marketing) a favor. He has no obligation to be such a thought leader. But his passion for beefing up cybersecurity across all industries and public sector can only be summed up by his signature catchphrase: “Let’s do this!”
Last year, Alvaro approached senior management about beefing up our Active Directory security messaging and marketing, all on his own volition. Prior to this our team focused on compliance. Alvaro has educated Dell product and marketing teams on threats to Windows server environments and best practices to prevent and detect them. His education has allowed our team to educate many thousands more. Each one, teach one…