- Job title of nominated professional: Cloudera’s Information Security Team
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Cloudera
- Website: http://www.cloudera.com/
- Company size (employees): 1,000 to 4,999
- Country: United States
- Headquarters Region: North America
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
- Cloudera’s Information Security team encourages the open sourcing of cybersecurity solutions and has led the community effort for Apache Spot, an open source project that harnesses the power of big data to build next generation cybersecurity analytic capabilities. This has the potential to become a touchpoint project that galvanizes the developer community to help combat the serious (and constantly mutating) cybersecurity threats faced by virtually every organization within the public and private sectors.
- The team empowers enterprises to find the cybersecurity solution that is right for them. With a one-size-does-not-fit-all mindset, Cloudera’s Information Security team works to help organizations’ custom-make solutions that will fit their needs.
- Cloudera’s team does not keep its knowledge to itself, but contributes to the wider industry. Through webinars, blogs, conference attendance, research studies, podcasts, commentary from its members – leaders on the subject – and more, Cloudera is contributing to the worldwide fight against hackers.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
In today’s hyperconnected age, organizations from government agencies to private sector businesses must be diligent about monitoring for threats to their cybersecurity. Tools and solutions are widely available, but many fall short in addressing the volume and variety of threats that put organizations at risk. In this new era of cybersecurity, Cloudera’s Information Security team made two important realizations: 1) the more minds working together to address security issues, the better, and 2) one size does not fit all when it comes to implementing the best cybersecurity solutions.
Cloudera’s team supports the community effort for Apache Spot (incubating), an open source project that harnesses the power of big data and machine learning to build next generation cybersecurity analytic capabilities. By open sourcing cybersecurity solutions, Cloudera and the open source community have unlocked new analytic functionalities for detecting advanced cyber threats and reducing incidence response time.
Apache Spot is a community-driven cybersecurity project, built from the ground up, to bring advanced analytics to all IT Telemetry data on an open, scalable platform. Using a single, shared open data model, Cloudera’s team can break down siloed proprietary application data repositories, and plug their security applications into Apache Spot. With Spot, the team can bring together a myriad of data sources and use advanced visual applications to capture investigative workflows, real-time incident response, and machine learning-guided data exploration for the very first time across networks, entities, applications, and endpoints. The team uses a modern, open-source solution that can economically provide a comprehensive cybersecurity hub for forensic, telemetry, and contextual data. The team combines log management, compliance, reporting and advanced netflow analytics to power machine learning and artificial intelligence cybersecurity applications for advanced threat hunting, which reduces their mean time to detection and investigation for Cloudera, its customer, partners and the greater open source community.