- Job title of nominated professional: Founder and CTO
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Kenna Security
- Website: http://www.kennasecurity.com
- Company size (employees): 50 to 99
- Country: United States
- Headquarters Region: North America
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
Ed has spent the past 10+ years of his career focused on improving security with a data-driven and evidence-based approach to security rather than the gut-feel and dogma the security profession has been using. His work has contributed to a shift in recent years to a risk-based approach that is focused on outcomes.
● Ed is passionate about the approach articulated in The New School of Information Security (Shostack,
Adam & Stewart, Andrew, Addison Wesley Professional, 2008) and promotes taking a quantitative, evidence-based approach to security and to sharing information on threat activity, successful versus unsuccessful controls, and comparative metrics to ensure a more secure environment for all.
● With Kenna, Ed is helping other organizations use a data-driven risk-based approach to remediation
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Ed Bellis is a security industry veteran and expert and was once named Information Security Executive of the year. He founded Kenna Security to deliver a data-driven risk-based approach to remediation and help IT teams prioritize and thwart would-be security threats.
Ed is the former CISO at Orbitz and Bank of America. He also founded and served as CEO of HoneyApps. He is an advisor to Dharma and former advisor to SecurityScoreboard.com and Society of Payment Security Professionals. Ed is a contributing author to the book, Beautiful Security (Oram, Andy & Viega, John, O’Reilly Media, 2009).
He is a frequent speaker at industry conferences. Recent engagements include the 2017 Enterprise Security Summit (Dos and Don’t of Establishing Metrics that Cultivate Real Security) and InfoSec World (Amateur Hour: Why APT’s Are the Least of Your Worries).
- Vote For This Nomination