- Job title of nominated professional: Chief Information Security Officer
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Cloudera
- Website: http://www.cloudera.com/
- Company size (employees): 1,000 to 4,999
- Country: United States
- Headquarters Region: North America
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
- Eddie has led Cloudera’s Information Security Team through many of its successful initiatives, including the open sourcing of cybersecurity solutions and the community effort for Apache Spot, an open source project that harnesses the power of big data to build next generation cybersecurity analytic capabilities.
- As a thought leader of big data security, Eddie has spoken about Hadoop data encryption, Apache Spot’s potential and more in his SecurityWeek column. He has also discussed compliance regulations and GDPR on Cybersecurity on Call, Cloudera’s cybersecurity podcast series run by Eddie’s team.
- Eddie has filled many roles, giving him ample experience to serve as a big data security thought leader. From building software as an engineer to leading Cloudera’s Information Security Team as Chief Information Security Officer, he has established himself as a trusted source for those innovating in the space.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Eddie Garcia, Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) at Cloudera, has worn many hats over the course of his career. He served as vice president of InfoSec and Engineering at Gazzang, was the chief architect of zNcrypt encryption products, author of four issued and provisional patents for data security and Hadoop Security book co-author on Data Security. He has established a strong platform as an expert in information security, building software and leading highly energized security and engineering teams.
Formerly the chief security architect at Cloudera, Eddie worked in the office of the CTO to advance enterprise security in the Cloudera platform and help customers meet regulatory data compliance policies with high performance and easy to maintain solutions. Today, as Cloudera’s CISO, Eddie helps the company and its customers reduce security and compliance risks associated with sensitive data sets stored in big data environments. He focuses on information security and privacy programs, cybersecurity and threat analytics using Apache Spot, machine learning, and more.
As a thought leader in his field, Eddie holds an expert column with SecurityWeek where he has covered topics such as machine learning for cybersecurity. Eddie’s contributions to this column help to inform readers of the value of securing businesses and combating cybercrime with collaboration and machine learning. Under Eddie’s leadership, Cloudera’s information security team produces Cybersecurity on Call, a podcast that covers latest news and trends in cybersecurity. On a recent episode, Eddie discussed staying ahead of compliance regulations and the EU’s GDPR.
Well-seasoned in building new products in the security space and leading development teams, Eddie is a model of how to use engineering approaches to resolve complex problems. As Bob Gourley of CTOvision.com wrote in a blog post in 2015, “Eddie Garcia is regarded as one of the nation’s greatest Big Data security architects.”
- Vote For This Nomination