- Job title of nominated professional: Chief Marketing Officer
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Sectigo (formerly Comodo CA)
- Website: https://sectigo.com/
- Company size (employees): 100 to 499
- Country: United States
- Headquarters Region: North America
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
• Early Brand Recognition: Under Jonathan’s strategic leadership and ability to pivot amid roadblocks, the marketing team successfully developed and launched a full rebrand initiative to position Sectigo as a best-in-class web security solutions leader. In Q3 2018, Jonathan executed a complete brand launch, showcasing the company’s bold vision, fresh leadership team, and product offerings to current and future consumers. Building on a 20-year legacy in digital certificates, his work helped position Sectigo as a distinct brand and an established web security company providing a broad range of certificate and IT security solutions. Since the Nov 1, 2018 Sectigo launch, U.S. and EMEA PR teams have secured expert commentary about web security practices from top-tier media including BBC, TechCrunch, Forbes, SC Magazine, Dark Reading, InfoSecurity Magazine, TechRadar Pro, and TechTarget’s IoT Agenda - among others.
• Marketing Engine: Jonathan’s team now has the tools and processes to conduct robust campaigns with a suite of marketing systems, collateral, and content, which foster a strong demand generation pipeline and elevate the new brand. Jonathan and his team developed a dynamic, vast range of demand-generation marketing assets to drive sales and elevate the new brand. With his leadership, Sectigo is already growing its brand recognition as a web security provider delivering innovative solutions that challenge security norms while continuing to focus, improve, and build on its core TLS/SSL digital certificate business and customer experience.
• Sales Impact and Enthusiasm: Jonathan’s vision and expertise provided a strong new brand identity for the company and its partners to leverage across all paid and organic marketing efforts. Sales gained 3,300+ qualified sales leads since Jonathan became CMO, and Sectigo is on track to outpace growth for its market, driven in part from increased inbound interest from enterprise organizations across industries. Equally important, employee and partner enthusiasm across continents has boomed.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
After carving out from its parent company Comodo Group, Sectigo (formerly Comodo CA) needed a marketing organization infrastructure and bold vision to modernize the company and rebrand in order to eliminate market confusion and represent an expanding portfolio of web security solutions.
Jonathan Skinner became CMO six months after the company’s carve out and began to onboard new branding and PR agencies, while building out his marketing organization from two to seven people in order to support enterprise, SMB, and partner channels – all while directly running the company’s B2B e-commerce and inside sales functions. To further complicate his mission, shortly after he took on the role, the company executed an acquisition and launched a major new technology platform in the IoT space.
The new company’s marketing needs were great: Build a full marketing and communications team ASAP to execute on ground-up redefinition of all aspects of marketing for a large, growing global business, including:
● A full rebrand, including name, logo, visual identity, style guide, mission statement
● Disentangle marketing technology, CRM, and ordering systems from the former parent company
● Build and launch a new corporate website and four B2B e-commerce sites
● Create and distribute a full set of company selling assets including white papers, product literature, videos, and sales presentations along with outbound marketing campaigns to build brand awareness and meet lead generation requirements
● Establish an ABM practice to support new, high-end, enterprise offerings based on the company’s popular SMB products
After revamping the brand strategy and crafting a new name, logo, and identity, Jonathan oversaw technology investments delivering four web properties for businesses to conveniently select and purchase business security products, including a full range of SSL certificates. The flagship site provides a more modern experience, featuring intuitive navigation, streamlined checkout, more payment options, wide-ranging products, services information, and support.