- Job title of nominated professional: CEO of Malwarebytes
- Company (where nominated professional or team is working): Malwarebytes
- Website: https://www.malwarebytes.com
- Company size (employees): 508
- Country: United States
In 3 bullets, summarize why this professional or team deserves recognition:
• Marcin was recognized as CEO of the Year by the Info Security Products Guides’ Global Excellence Awards and was awarded the silver Stevie Award for Executive of the Year- Computer Software.
• Malwarebytes introduced Malwarebytes Breach Remediation for Mac and new forensics capabilities as part of its Malwarebytes Breach Remediation platform and announced new anti-ransomware capabilities for the Malwarebytes Endpoint Security platform
• Malwarebytes introduced Malwarebytes 3.0, combining four proprietary technologies to equip users with the strongest, most comprehensive Malwarebytes protection ever.
In less than 300 words, summarize the achievements of the professional or team in the nominated category
Marcin Kleczynski has a mission. A mission, that to many, may seem impossible—he wants to rid the world of malware.
Marcin’s personal mission goes back to 2004, when he picked up a nasty malware infection while cruising the Internet in search of video games. Despite having a popular paid antivirus program in place and working as a computer tech after school, it took more than three days searching the Internet and consulting with other people on security forums to find a solution to his problem. During that search Marcin came to the conclusion that there was a lot of new malware out there and current antivirus programs couldn’t handle it. So, he set out to build the world a better malware fighter. He taught himself code and eventually engineered a small but highly effective anti-malware tool, the precursor to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, that quickly became popular in the security community.
Today, Malwarebytes is headquartered in California with offices in Europe, and a global team of threat researchers and security experts. This year, Malwarebytes expanded endeavors throughout Asia, initially focused on driving business in Australia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand with efforts in China and Japan to follow, with additional operations launched in the Middle East.
Marcin uses his experience as a successful tech entrepreneur to inspire the next generation of computer scientists. He believes that encouraging high school students to pursue cybersecurity as a career choice will help address this critical shortage of cybersecurity professionals. In 2016, he spoke with Pioneer High School on starting a business in high school and what motivated them to believe no matter what. Additionally, he gave a TEDx talk on the ups and downs of starting a business while attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.